In 1980, when I was 13, I tried to get my first job. I was turned down. I had ridden my BMX bike to the closest bike shop, 5 miles away to ask if they were hiring. I don't remember if they thought I was too young or didn't need help but the end result was the same. I was lucky enough, 19 years later, to get my opportunity to work in a bike shop. I'd like to say that being spurned so long ago started a fire that smoldered for those 19 years but it wasn't really like that. I moved on to other, more menial jobs. But the bike was always there. I used to ride to the local BMX track to race, ride 10 miles across town to have lunch, ride back and forth from our local swimming hole, I pretty much rode everywhere. At 14 I rode my first century (actually 115 miles). It was just 2 of us riding to my friend's lake house and it seemed like the thing to do that day. At 15 I did my 1st triathlon (or maybe it was a quadrathlon because they threw in a 4 mile canoe leg at the end).
I guess what I'm saying is that I'm a very lucky person. I get to work in a job that lets me introduce others to one of my passions. I've travelled to great places to ride my bike and met interesting people along the way. I get to ride the best bike products in the world. My wife reminds me that we get to sell people things that they really want. Its not really selling, and she should know - she sells text books. Nobody wants to buy textbooks.
In my 11 years in the bike business I have never hired someone as young as 13, but I have turned down a few. I always think of myself back in 1980, and hope that they are lucky enough to get their chance later in life to do what they love. Hopefully it will involve lots of bikes.
As my new Blog journey progresses I'll share with you some of my favorite stories involving the bicycle and I encourage you to share yours with me!
No comments:
Post a Comment